Thursday 5 April 2012

Paints?!

This is an expensive hobby sometimes, especially when you're starting out. This last week or so its brought home in a couple of ways.

Firstly, paints. A bunch of the first paints I bought when restarting the hobby are now running out of life, and need replacing, and I've been thinking about moving from the Citadel Paints (with their fairly well documented problems) to another brand - probably Vallejo given their decent reputation and availability. The problem, mostly, is cost - sure, they're cheap on a pot-by-pot basis but it adds up quickly once you consider how many colours I end up using on even a simply painted model. and of course now GW have refreshed their whole line, which has put me back into "wait and see" mode for the early reviews.

The other thing comes from the much better place that my ongoing painting hobby has spiked the interest of my eldest child, who has co-opted the Orks from my AoBR set, painted them up, and we've started doing battles with them. This is, of course, enormous fun, even if it's often unbalanced and we get the rules wrong a fair bit. But I've got a decent number of Blood Ravens now, because I've been painting them predominantly over the last few months, and most of them I can't use because I'd just crush him. Picking up a couple of boxes of Orks (a horde army, at that!) us again, a costly investment. Maybe ebay is the answer, for just knock-about forces?

There's no real conclusion to this, but it has reminded me that this must really bite on kids, often with less disposable income, trying to get into this for the first time!

5 comments:

  1. This might help out a little bit,

    http://www.thewarstore.com/blackreach.html

    They do a pretty good job of breaking down the the component elements of the AOBR set into affordable chunks.

    Dicebucket could be another option for you they sell a few Ork items on the sprue at a good discount.

    http://www.dicebucket.com/servlet/the-1842/Ork-Boyz-Box-on/Detail

    http://www.dicebucket.com/servlet/the-1841/Ork-Trukk-on-Sprue/Detail

    http://www.dicebucket.com/servlet/the-1840/Ork-Warbiker-Mob-on/Detail

    Also make sure to get yourself signed up for the 'Easter Basket Giveaway' I'm running over at my blog.

    http://sippinonpaintwater.blogspot.com/2012/03/easter-basket-giveaway.html

    Who knows if you win some extra Ork stuff might find its way into the basket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers chris i'll have a look at them!

      matt

      Delete
  2. I might get some of the new Citadel Paints, but only the technical ones and glazes to play around with. Otherwise I'll stick to replacing what I need on a case by case basis.

    I've no idea of the quality of the new citadel range, but price wise they're still the most expensive out there on a £ per ml basis.

    I think you'd be better off looking at which colours you use most, then use a guide like http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart and then bulk buy those colours from other cheaper brands. My experience with Vajello and Reaper is that the paints last a lot longer than citadel and go much further per drop, so a bulk buy of two pots will do you for a fair old while.

    As I've already said, the thing that really puts me off citadel is those bloody awful pots they use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think i'm going to stick with my plan of gradually migrating to Vallejo paints - i don't need to buy a huge amount at the moment and can gradually just migrate over as i go.

      Delete
    2. I think that is a solid plan and pretty much the same as what I've done. However, obtaining Reaper Paints either means a trip to Gen Con or ordering online, I tend to buy a few of each colour to ward against running out.

      Delete