Monday 8 August 2011

Signs of Progress

So this is the first post since I was welcomed onto the "From the Warp" Blogroll. So "Hi" folks,hope some of this painting isn't too dissapointing!

I mention a week or so ago that I was playing with Space Marines, trying to find a scheme that works for me, and I think I've now settled for the Blood Ravens, because I like red for Space Marines, and I like the Dawn of War series. So I spent some time going back to my re-stripped Assault on Black Reach Marines to get some practice, and with a heavy heart I retuned to the Force Commander figure.


New and Improved


Firey Sword!
See, I hate this figure. Hes very fiddly, especially around the chest piece, and not a good way - like the Lord Commisar, for example - but just too many elements overlapping that need to be different colours and textures and...yeah. I think I did a much better job this time though. To prove it, here's the first version from I'd just started painting again. 

Kind of Embarrasing

If nothing else I think this demonstrates what a few months reading and practicing can do for your technique.

Also in the spirit of comparison, I finished off a Tac Marine half-squad, with before and after pics for your general amusement.
After!

Before!

Next project, re-do the AoBR Dread...

4 comments:

  1. Welcome!! your painting looks pretty good for someone that is rusty. I have also been through the mill trying to choose a space marine scheme ending up with creating my own chapter. As for stripping your minis try dettol it works great.

    let me know if you want me to add you to me blog exchange and vice verse?

    ReplyDelete
  2. cheers :)

    I've used Fairy Power Spray to strip off my AoBR marines so far, and it's pretty effective, with a tendancy to take out the superglue as well!

    and yep, more than happy to add you to the sidebar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colour scheme is looking really good. I like the lava effect on the power sword of the Force Commander. He might be a fiddly figure, but I think you've captured the details well.

    What are you using to do the litanies on your purity seals as the lines are quite dark and thick? To try and get a look of text, I use a mix of brown and black ink (about 50/50) as brown is too light and black too dark. Failing that thinned paint will do, as it is more transparent and creates a finer line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the purity seals are just black paint. a bit like some of the shoulder markings on the tac marines, they need a complete do-over...

    ReplyDelete