Tuesday 23 August 2011

AoBR Blood Raven Dreadnaught COMPLETED

So now I've settled on the Blood Ravens as a scheme, I popped over to Forgeworld to pick up the Blood Raven Transfer sheet to save myself any more embarrasing free-handed chapter badges, at least till I get a little better at them. I've also gone back to my box of stripped and re-based Assault on Black Reach figures and pulled out the Dreadnaught. And here he is:

Better image updated 20-12-2011 with base!


Despite a little bit of dithering over how to handle the alternate colours, I'm pretty pleased with how he's turned out. Owning the Dawn of War games as a reference didn't hurt, of course.




The scheme used in Dawn of War 2 paints the whole of the engine casing at the back in cream, but it really doesn't work for me. This means that perhaps the red is more dominant (and maybe too Blood Angels-ey) hence the stripe on the leg and the full shoulder patches, but it lifts it enough without unbalancing the scheme. In fact, the only downside to the model is the slight whitening in some places caused by the sealant spray, which is annoying but theres not a lot I can do about it.

Anyway, comments and feedback as ever appreciated. I'm not sure I can face doing the AoBR terminators at the moment (they're really basic and a little dull to paint) so I'm currently dithering about the next project.

And as a final note, I first painted this guy in Ultramarine colours in November last year. He looked like this:


I think there is some significant progress there!

6 comments:

  1. Very nice! The raven symbol if freehand looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks. but sadly the badges are from the Forgeworld Transfer Sheet...my hands simply aren't that steady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks very good mate. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cheers. I should probably do a better pic now the melta barrels are properly drilled too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't want to mention the undrilled melta barrels, as I got the impression you were going to do that from you later post.

    One thing you could do to make the figure look less "Blood Angels-y" is paint one of the shoulders completely bone/cream colour. Or do that to the front armour panelling either side of the Sarcophagus. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  6. one of my concerns - which applies to the predator as well, actually - is that on a lot of the models i've seen around on the net too much of the cream unbalances the colour set on the model. stripes and small patches look fine, but whole shoulders just look a little "off" to me. Although i guess it's a personal taste thing.

    ReplyDelete