Monday, 5 March 2012

Oh the weather outside is frightful...

One of the things I've been meaning to have a play with for a while is Weathering Powders. They come highly recommended by all sorts of people, and look like a fun and different way to achieve a "look" on a model. My chosen victim was the Leman Russ I got for xmas, which got a good lot of work done on it last weekend and then again on Wednesday night when i was in on my own.

It's important to note that this is really, really messy. I spread a lot of newspaper to do this own, but even so it went all over my hands, clothes and so on, so be warned! But lets let the pictures do the talking!


We started here - painting done and a bunch of normal scratch/dent weathering applied, as well as some wash to darken down the recesses in the tracks and around the hull plates.


Rust! Actually i think this is slightly over-applied on the tracks but it's a lovely effect overall. I think i was expecting to be able to spread it around more easily from the initial application site, but I quickly learned that i got effects from dabbing the brush around rather than using it like a "normal" paint application. 


And then a mix of soot and dark earth scattered around the place. I should probably do a sides-shot (though you can see the Chimera hull in the background) so show it's heavier around the base. I was expecting it to be heavier still, actually, hence the less-subtle-than-it-could-be scratches on the plow that i expected to be more heavily obfuscated.

that said, i've falled slightly in love with weathering powders - they're a ton of fun to apply, have a really nice effect and I'm off to try them on a couple of figures next...