Monday 23 January 2012

Blood Ravens Librarian - COMPLETED

Well I was supposed to be finishing off the Sterguard Taxi this weekend, given that I had a free couple of hours. But....I got distracted. By this guy:

Yep, It's a Librarian in Terminator Armour. This has got to be one of the classic Games Workshop sculpts, and by a reasonable margin the most fiddly figure I've ever worked on. I mean, he's got fiddly bits on his fiddly bits, and every time I looked around thinking "hey, he's about done!" I found another bloody scroll, skull, purity seal or something that still wasn't done. I'm sure just putting these pictures up I'll spot something I've missed.

Anyway, despite this he was amazing fun to work and totally absorbing to the exclusion of all else.

He's painted up to be an HQ fig for my Blood Ravens, so the shoulders are bone and I've given him a red kneecap for the Chapter Badge. I've also tried to "grey" down the blue a little to make him more in line with blue-grey look of Jonah Orion's armour in the Dawn of War series, and less like an on-loan Ultramarine. He's still definitely blue, just a little less Smurf-ey.

More pictures after the cut.


Classic "front" pose. It really is a funky looking sculpt. 

Right shoulder detail 

Left shoulder detail and Plasma Pistol

Rear shot with the lightning effect on the staff
On the whole I'm pretty damn pleased with him - the staff effect hasn't completely worked out but aside from that there is no real failures in the paint scheme. The kneecap doesn't quite sit right either, just from a colour perspective, but he needs it there. And the base isn't done but I'm leaving that until my Terminators are painted up so I can base him in the same style.

Next time I'll have the Taxi finished, I promise.

6 comments:

  1. Nice work just getting him to this point. I've painted one of these and I know how much detail is on the model.

    Once you base him later on, it will really bring him to life.

    Ron
    From the Warp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Ron :)

      He'll probably just end up based like the sternguard - mix of rocks and gravel, but with the larger bases I always feel like i should be doing more with the space.

      the detail really is a blessing and a curse, isn't it?

      Delete
  2. Very true. The detail is there so you don't have to add it, but there is so much there it takes forever to paint.

    I like the 40mm bases myself since I think they are just big enough to give you room to really suggest the environment they are working in. 25mm is too small to get a feel for it and 60mm is more like a mini-display for me.

    Ron
    From the Warp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thinking more on it, the detail does make him a great "learning" piece - for instance there is a lot of white, parchment and bone (no matter what chapter you do him as) and getting all those textures right was a real headache, but i learnt a lot from it. normally i'd avoid putting stuff like that together for fear of them not being distinct. Here I don't have any choice so i've had to make the effort to get it right.

      Delete
    2. I completed miss that you'd finished this guy and done a really nice job of him as well. The greyish blue looks really good and the zenithal lighting is coming along nicely.

      The shading on the white looks a lot better this time and from the looks of things you used a blue wash, which I think ties the white cloth in well with the rest of the model.

      My only comment is it looks like the face could use a watered down wash of devlan mud to sharpen some of the details, but it could just be a case of the photography bleaching the colours out.

      Delete
    3. yep i tried the blue wash as you advised - it really gives it a different quality. Still not overly confident with white, OR cloth, but it feels a little better now.

      Delete