Tuesday 20 December 2011

Blood Raven Sternguard - COMPLETED

So the rest of my Sternguard are complete, and the full squad is assembled. To mark the occasion I've build myself an improvised lightbox and taken some pictures using that - they're not all perfect and there is the odd focus problem i didn't have before, but the general presentation is a lot better! So, here they are:


More individual pictures after the jump.



This guy unfortunately has a slightly deformed head! 

And this chap looks like he's posing for a catalogue;
"Marine at C&A"



So that's them. What I have I lost in shadow and dodgy lighting I have gained in blurry focus problems. When I bought them I was expecting this to be the end of the Blood Ravens for a while, but I've really enjoyed painting them and unless doing their Razorback really bores the teeth off me I may stick with Marines for the next project.

As a final note, there is a better picture of the AoBR Dreadnought on the original post when i finished it, here.

4 comments:

  1. The blurred photgraphy has achieved the unusual effect of presenting your models as a series of paintings in the impressionist style. The Cezanne-Legion or perhaps the Matisse-Marines? ;-)

    Anyhoo, these guys look great, from the weathering on their lower limbs which ties them into the bases, to the shading on the shoulder pads, the zenithal lighting on the armour, the eye lenses and rifle lenses. Great attention to detail that is nicely done. The little touches of blue and green keep the detail interesting, without making the figures look "busy." Really good stuff.

    I do think the shading on the white helmets is a bit stark and conrtasts with the more subtle work on the rest of the armour. There is nothing technically wrong with it, it just is inconsistent with how you've approached the rest. I would darken the shading in the recesses of the rest of the armour, just to tie it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, weirdly using the lightbox as messed up how the focus on the camera picks up the figures. Need more time to experiment with it.

    It's my first shot at white and I may be overcompensating for being terrified of creating an indistinct mess on their heads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, my lightbox has a similar effect. I need to get some nice graduated paper as well.

    White is tricky, I spent a good long while figuring out how I was going to do it before painting my Deathwing Apothecary. My approach is:

    Mid grey basecoat.
    Blue Wash
    Lighter grey over the first coat but leaving the shaded recesses alone.
    Ghost White (thinned) and blended over the light grey.
    White for the highlights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i found the paper on the internet, just an a4 sized .jpg and printed it out.

    I'll try that mix out - blue wash i'd never have thought of.

    ReplyDelete