Friday 9 December 2011

Blood Ravens Sternguard WIP: Wombles!

So, the next project (before I go back to my Sorylian Cruisers) is the Finecast Sternguard I picked up for my expanding Marine force. Even after a bit of cleaning up, I keep discovering small, messed up areas on them - in fairness you get this on metal figures too, and I suspect the finer detail versus plastics mean there is more to go wrong, but it's faintly annoying and occasionally beyond my meager fixing skills. Anyway, the squad is progressing, with heads and armour mostly done.

Whatever else I say, I love the design and poses of these guys. 
This feels like the end of the "production line" stage, so now we are at the detail it's a matter for picking one up and just going around and around him till it'm satisfied. The only one I've put a lot of work into is one of the "womble-nose" chaps, so here he is:

Underground, Overground, DEATH TO LITTER DROPPING HERETICS! 

He's mostly finished - with the odd bit of touching up around the place to do, and the gun detailing which you can't see (because I didn't photograph that angle). You don't get a decent shot of his shoulder pads either, which are of course creamey coloured as he's a Blood Raven. That said the more I look at these figures the more I've come to realise that there is very little space for the Blood Raven iconography to go on them, due to the very "busy" shoulders that they have. Maybe I could use a knee pad for that, or try my shakey hands at a bit more freehand work...

4 comments:

  1. I like what you've done there with your zenithal lighting.

    You're right about the level of detail on the sternguard mucking options for including additional iconography. The left kneepad would be a good place to put a chapter symbol (freehand) or company designatiomn

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wasn't going to mention the lighting, mostly because i think it needs a bit of work still. but it's good its noticeable! :)

    i was trying to think of a location across all five for some commonality, but i guess Sternguard are such a bunch of prima donnas they all need to do their markings differently... !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it is a tricky one. I'm pretty sure all the figures have at least one piece of armour which is plain and can be used for insignia purposes.

    The lighting is definitely there and is probably bleached out a little in the photo. Still, you're off to a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. having spent a good part of my day off doing two more (pictures to follow!), kneepads are looking favorite at the moment.

    ReplyDelete