Friday 21 September 2012

Painting Table Update September 2012

Well i've finally started on the last of the kits from last big blowout, my second Tactical Squad. They're in a really mixed state of development at the moment, but the furthest along- the one i'm getting ready to use as a "standard" to get the others lined up against, looks like this:


He still needs highlighting, and a lot of touching up, but he's the right colour, which was a relief after the problems I had with the speeder being too bright. A didn't do the best job on cleaning up his mould lines though, dammit.

Anyway, after these guys are done I'm not entirely sure what to do next. Bearing in mind that I'm in this for the painting, and only really actually play 40k with my son, building a balanced army isn't high on my priority list. However, I'm close to a decent-looking 1500 point Blood Ravens force and one option would be to build up towards that. Which means a couple of Rhinos and another speeder, basically. Which would also be good tests for any airbrush starter set I care to buy.. 

2 comments:

  1. Yup, those new colours are quite bold. My suggestion would be start with a much darker red as your base and then paint your mid tone onto that, leaving a little gap at the joints for the darker tone to show through. Then use your wash to help the two colours blend together.

    I know I've been absent for four months and coming back, your painting is definitely progressed a lot. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. they're not actually as bad on a marine figure i think, because it gets broken up by other colours. I've also mitigated it by using an even-more thinned down coat which i think (hope) also helps. Its on the big blocky areas of vehicles that it realy becomes a problem.

    ReplyDelete