Friday 7 September 2012

Blood Ravens Landspeeder and some paint thoughts

Well first up I got my first vehicle under the Vallejo Paints done, and it looks like this:



No, I still haven't bought a decent camera.

This really almost turned into a complete disaster but I think I've mostly brought it back. I've noticed that the colour depth on the new paints is much stronger - and better - than the old GW ones i'd been used to, and planned accordingly, but even so the initial red coat was ridiculously vivid. I think it's still to bright compared to the existing vehicles but a couple of washes and the weathering pass have brought it back under control somewhat.

The weathering - especially the mud - is heavier than my normal effect at least in part because of this, but also because I figure that high-speed skimmers that get tactically deployed as hit-and-run strike forces probably get filthy.

As to the painting the problem I'm not really sure how to resolve it - thinner coats sure but then I'm going to run into problems with application. I'd love to try Landraider or similar show-piece vehicle and that's really not something I want to screw up, which makes me think a starters airbrush could be the answer. Time for more research, I think.... 

2 comments:

  1. Just came across your blog and really like your Blood Ravens work. I think the speeders look great! I've always liked the BR color scheme, would like to do some of my own someday.

    I like to knock down the vivid in a lot of GW's paints myself. For red colors, you can 'desaturate' by adding a little green (doesn't take much). Shouldn't change the hue, just zap the intensity some. If you don't like those results, a neutral gray can do the same. You might have to adjust the white/black mix so you're not lightening/darkening the red color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah i'd not heard that as a tip before, I will try that!

    ReplyDelete