Friday 10 February 2012

Blood Ravens Venerable Dreadnought COMPLETED

So, I continue to work through my Mariney Christmas splurge with polishing off the Venerable Dreadnought for  my growing Blood Raven army. This is actually the first "proper" dreadnought I've built, as my other one came from Black Reach, and as a kit it comes with a rather fab range of options and customisation, and I think I took longer on dithering on how to build him, than on actually building him. The base (like on the Librarian) is still just left blank until I can get some decent basing materials that are suitable for the larger base. Anyway, more pictures after the cut.



Obligatory Front Shot. 

The scroll here is a little blue-er than it look in real life
thanks to the camera enhancing it.But it's still not a bad look! 

Rear shot - the Mechanicus crest if brass rather than gold, but
it's not quite caught the light here. The engine casing is the
only part of the model really "muckied" up, any other stuff
can wait until basing. 

I just love drawing inscriptions all over my Blood Ravens. This guy
even has the Imperiums worst freehand art on his shoulder! 
And that's him done. Comments, as ever, appreciated, and it's onto my Terminators next. And yes, I am finally starting to get a little worn out on painting things red!

6 comments:

  1. You rattled this bad boy out quick enough and it looks great. I like the green purity seals, they're a real nice touch. The black metal rather than gun metal, bringing out the details and avoiding the black looking flat.

    Lots of other nice touches as well, with the weathering round the legs, additional scripting and free painted symbols.

    I'm not sure about the black around the engine vents though. I'd love to see you do that effect with some weathering powders, as I think you'll find that takes the effect to another level.

    I see you wisely chose the Assault Cannon for the right arm. I don't care what the stats are, Assault Cannons just look best imo.

    Finally, any chance of a side by side shot with the other dreadnought?

    ReplyDelete
  2. weathering powders are definitely on my "to do" list, once my "spurious tiny mans budget" recharges. they would almost certainly reduce the "splodgy" look around the engines.

    i love the look of assault cannons, the only other weapon i even thought about using was the Plasma Cannon.

    yeah, i've quite the BR force now, was planning on getting some group shots done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm curious as to how you BR force would fare against my DW force. I reckon we could both field armies of sizeable points values now.

    Although we would actually need a rulebook and have some idea how to play......

    ReplyDelete
  4. i suspect it could be wildly unbalanced one way or another, and yet strangely fun.

    i wonder if the AoBR rulebook has enough info in it to get a scratch game together?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work. He's not as muted as I imagine Blood Ravens being in terms of the red, but I think the warmer color red looks really sharp. It's just enough of a difference for me to make him stand out and still be recognized as that particular chapter.

    Nice work.
    Ron, FTW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think the colour correct on the camera is brightening him slightly - held up next to the screen he's not quite as red - but i take your point. I'm aiming to made my BR colour not as brilliantly clean as the Blood Angels tend to be but still, well, bloody.

      decent photography appears to be a whole extra skillset i never expected to have to pick up when i got back into this!

      Delete