Thursday 17 November 2011

Power Swords, Redux

Right, so with a bit of time on my hands last night I've had another play with some power swords.

First up, the Imperial Guard officer:


I wanted to see what a green sword would look like, and a many of the "sabre" like swords i've seen done well have a sort of secondary glow around the curved areas, which is what i'm going for here. It's a little inelegant, and works better if you squint, but i think it gets the shape and general effect.

After that, I went back to Captain Firey-Sword and, inspired by some work over at Smurfs in Space, redid him.



This turned out a little better, i think, and certainly more elegant than the previous effort. I've tried to maintain a bit of fluidity to the effect by "feathering" the colours along the leading and trailing edges of the blade.

Overall i think i may be getting past my fear of Power Sword effects, don't you think?

3 comments:

  1. Yeah man, that looks real good. I definitely have to try the feathering method methinks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The green sabre is rather reminiscent of the necrons. If I were serving with that particular guardsman, I'd be a little nervous of him. What with the bionic arm and all.

    The BR powersword is much better, the feathering has worked very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i tried green to match up with the plasma vent effect i've used on my IG Sentinel, but now you mention it, it does give him a slightly....tomb-worldy air. I hear the IG will take anyone for the Regiments these days.

    ReplyDelete